Wendy UnBrOkEn

Without the Dark, We'd Never See the Stars...

Friday, August 24, 2012

National Registry EMT Exam

On Monday, I got up early and went to the Pearson-Vue Center in downtown Texarkana to take my EMT National Registry exam.  I had to sign in and show 2 forms of I.D, do a finger print and do a palm vein scan!  They are serious about security there!!  I also had to pull out my pockets in my jeans to prove I didn't have anything with me and I had to swear that I wasn't taking anything inside the testing center that wasn't allowed.  They must be worried about cheating.  I do not blame them!  I can see some people trying to sneak in notes and calculators.  Those medical exams are tough.  

I finally got seated at computer number 1 and the examiner turned on my exam.  I read through the directions and hit BEGIN.  Question after question I felt like I was answering wrong.  I started to feel sick and beads of sweat were popping out on my forehead.  I stared to make horrible mistakes that I knew were wrong, but my clicky finger hits NEXT before I am ready.  I thought I was about to pass out.  I had to concentrate on breathing normal or I might have hyperventilated.    One question for sure I know I answered wrong... I gave nitro to a man with a pressure of 88.  I don't even know why I did that.  I know better.  I'm blaming it on my trigger happy clicky finger getting overly excited.  Right then... The test shut off.  OMG!  The test shut off!  I was only on question 50 something... OMG! I sat there in shock for what seemed like eons when finally the examiner came and got me.  She said "Wow, that was quick!" 
I knew I had failed the exam.  I should have studied harder, more, or with someone.  I went out to my truck and thought I was going to throw up.  I am not sure how I even made it home.  I was in a depression fog.  I was so upset.  At home I fell into my bed and just stared into space.  

National Registry posts the results on their website within 1-2 days.  My paramedic friends said I would probably have mine within 6-8 hours.  I pulled up the site and signed in.  I turned on the TV and started watching a movie.  I think I watched a Tyler Perry movie:  Why Did I Get Married?  I got up from time to time to refresh the website  checking my results.  Time after time there was nothing there.  Nothing to tell me if I failed or passed.  I was about to have an anxiety attack!!  

I finally clicked refresh AGAIN and there it was... a new screen!  Did my eyes see what I think they saw?  The words "Congratulations Wendy!  You are now a Nationally Registered EMT!"   HOLY SMOKES!!!!  How?  I thought I was failing miserably the entire time, but really I was doing quite well!  I passed that exam within 50 questions!  I think there are 150 questions.  If you are doing really well it shuts off and passes you, but if you are not doing so well it keeps questioning you until you pass or fail.  But, it also does that if you are failing badly at 50 questions, it will just fail you.  THAT is what I thought happened to me!!!  

So, I passed!  No one was home for me to share my good news with.  I had to text people and post it to my Twitter and Facebook pages!  I was so happy!!

Yesterday, my NREMT patch and certificate came in the mail.  I am official!!  

I applied last Friday at Lifenet ambulance services for a part time EMT position.  I will keep you all updated on that!  I hope they call me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment